Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 19:58:22 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, roberto@blaise.ibp.fr
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jfieber@cs.smith.edu, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TODO list for 2.0.5

>Actually it is little changed from the old way.  Is what has changed
>is that all the variables are now set in /etc/sysconfig, and the /etc/rc*
>and /etc/netstart files now do a . /etc/sysconfig to pick up the tweak
>values.

Actually only rc and netstart source sysconfig.  rc.* don't source it
and thus they [may] fail messily when run standalone.  Many shell
scripts in /etc bogusly begin with #!/bin/sh although they have 644
permissions so they can't be started directly, and ones like rc.i386
can't work if they are started directly.  (I may have the permissions
slightly wrong from 3 years of installing /etc manually.  The /etc
files should probably be in mtree/BSD.root.dist since their ownership
and permissions are critical for security and their installation is
difficult to automate.)

>It means you should only have to edit /etc/sysconfig now, not /etc/rc,
>and /etc/netstart.  It also greatly simplifies things like multiple
>network interfaces, ability to turn stuff on and off, add options
>to commands, etc...

It's now more surprising when you have to edit other files.

Bruce