Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 22:40:03 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Shiva Subramanian <shiva@subbu.us>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, netchild@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: lame-3.99.5

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Shiva Subramanian <shiva@subbu.us> wrote:
> hi there - when trying to install lame on my fresh new freebsd - I get the
> following error msg. Anything I can do to help resolve?
>
> murugan02# pkg_add -r lame
> Error: Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/Latest/lame.tbz:
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> pkg_add: unable to fetch '
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.0-release/Latest/lame.tbz'
> by URL

I don't believe that lame is ever packaged for legal reasons. You will
need to build it yourself, if you want it. Binary distribution would
require FreeBSD to license it (clearly a non-starter), so there is
none. lame is not unique in this regard.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com