Date:      20 Dec 1995 04:39:31 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPRY Safety Server for BSDI

mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead) writes:

>    I'm wanting to purchase and run the SPRY Safety Web Server for BSDI, but
>under FreeBSD.  However, when I attempt to run it, I get a seg fault each time.
>Here's a ktrace output:
>root@Glock % kdump
> 10248 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
> 10248 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xefbfd89f,0xefbfd818,0xefbfd828)
> 10248 ktrace   NAMI  "./httpd"
> 10248 httpd    RET   execve 0
> 10248 httpd    PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL

>Here's what file httpd outputs:
>root@Glock % file httpd
>httpd: BSD/386 demand paged (first page unmapped) pure ex

Sounds like a BSD/OS 2.0 executable.. Would that be right?

I've just implemented binary compatability for BSD/OS 2.0 in -current
about a week or so ago..  That might not be much help for you if you
are using 2.1 though...

>    Anyone have any ideas?

BSD/OS 2.0 binary support for the -stable branch (and hence, 2.1.1)
would be pretty easy to add without too much pain or trauma..  it involves
moving a data structure that is "placed" on the user stack during
exec, and that 'ps' also looks for.  To run BSD/OS binaries, we have
to implement their stack layout.  They have done it that way so they
can optimise process startup by using pre-built argv[] and environ[]
lists rather than counting them in crt0.o.  That strategy is pretty
dangerous, as it prevents growth of the kernel virtual memory space.

-Peter