Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:23:53 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: autodetecting dependencies

On 9 April 2012 22:02, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu> wrot=
e:
> So suppose we are building port A. =C2=A0It turns out that the configure =
in port
> A autodetects whether package B is present or not. =C2=A0It will build ei=
ther
> way. =C2=A0But if built with package B, it will not operate without it.
>
> So suppose I build port A on machine X which has package B installed. The=
n I
> create a package from A, and copy the package to machine Y. Machine Y doe=
> not have package B installed, and so when package A is installed, it does=
n't
> work on machine Y.
>
> What are the accepted ways of handling this?
>
> 1. =C2=A0Don't worry about it. =C2=A0tinderbox builds will never build po=
rt A in the
> presence of package B.
>
> 2. =C2=A0Have the Makefile of port A detect whether package B is installe=
d, and
> if it is then add B as a dependency of A.
>
> 3. =C2=A0Cripple the configure in port A so that it doesn't autodetect fo=
> package B. =C2=A0(Sometimes this can be done using a suitable CONFIGURE_A=
RGS, but
> not in my particular situation.)

The current answer for "automagical dependencies" is to fix (not
cripple) the configure option to not autodetect for package B. Any
port which currently has automatic detection is buggy and should be
fixed. You can use the OPTIONS framework to enable or disable the
option.

--=20
Eitan Adler