Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:24:08 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how mkdir without .. ?

Doug writes:
> "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" wrote:
> > I need in directories without link to parent in it
> > or with link to parent renamed to something exotic name.
> 	What are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to create
> directories that users cannot "escape" out of, all you need to do is
> remove the world rx permissions on the parent directory, and make sure
> that they don't have access via the group permissions. You might also
> want to look at chroot.
I have several GByteg archives, some of it have .. members in it.
Archives have different format (.rar, .zip, .arj so on).
When I try to inspect archives on regular basis, .. members
waste my filesystem or produse errors (it depends on safty methods
on filesystem)

Presence of ../../../.. directory which is NOT the path back
will do all I want.

I remember, that in really old UNIXes creating a dirertory
and populating it with "." and ".." entryes was different
steps, but I dont remember method (I was young and dumb then)

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/