Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 03:36:45 -0800
From:      "G. Held" <venusspamtrap@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless PCI card setup

Greetings,

I have a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI card that I am trying to install, with
less success than I would like.

I am using FreeBSD 5.2-RC2.  I have been able to bring the card up
manually with ifconfig for an Atheros chipset ("ifconfig ath0 inet
192.168.39.100 netmask 255.255.255.0") and doing so, I can see the
.html setup screens for my router (D-Link Di-624 (192.168.39.1))--so
there is a connection.  However, there I am stopped.  I cannot get
past the wireless router to my other machines (hooked into a Linksys
Cable/DSL router (192.168.38.1)) or the Internet in general.  No
http, no pings, nada.

I'm led to believe that the fault is with my setup of the wireless
card.  If I hook the machine into one of the wireless router's rj45
jacks, the connection is just fine.  The wireless card also
functioned without problems in a short-lived win98 install.  So the
card works, and the router setup seems to be good.  That leaves the
card setup within FreeBSD.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.  I've tried DHCP, I've tried
setting up a network interface via sysinstall after bringing up the
ath0 whoozit with ifconfig (apparently the card is not detected at
startup?)...

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?  Relevant documentation you can direct me to?
Direct solutions?  :)

  --G. Held
--
End of line.