Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:03:55 -0700
From:      "Richard Johannesson" <rtjohan@syspres.com>
To:        "'Tillman'" <tillman@seekingfire.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD5.1 Vinum Mirror root

Machine will run one copy of FreeBSD5.1 and has three hard drives: 2 x =
200GB
and 1 x 100GB drives. I was planning to use the 100GB for backup to =
store
dump images of this machine. The 200GB drives are mirrored root vinum
volumes - however that is accomplished.

The purposed of the machine:
 - Backup server
   + Stores dump images of 5 web servers
 - Web server configuration & website version control
   + Should store the configuration files of each web server
   + Web pages are published to this server
     * Each webserver should sync its config files and webpages with =
this
       configuration server - not sure which method is the best:
       rsync, cvsup, other?
 - Intranet webserver running apache
   Using mod_python + perl cgi
   Intranet Wiki Server to capture notes (twiki looks the best so far)
 - Keeps FreeBSD 5.1 up-to-date using cvsup nightly.
 - Build server
   Will keep kernel + apps up-to-date as needed
   Plan to have web server just run the make install via NFS from this
   build server

I know I'm asking too much of this machine, but that's why something =
like
vinum should be on it. Clearly, reliability is paramount.

Is there ever an advantage of having two slices for a drive when running
just one copy of FreeBSD on there? So, let's say split the 200GB into =
two
slices. First will have the standard partitions /, /var, /tmp, swap, =
/usr.
Then have /data on 2nd slice. What's the disadvantage of doing this? How
will this affect vinum - better or worse?

I understand that having more unix partitions might help limit data
corruption if the machine crashes. So was planning to split things up =
into
partitions as the following: / - 256MB, swap - 512MB, /var - 1GB, /tmp -
256MB, /usr - 198GB (rest).

Should these partitions be done under ufs2 and then put vinum on each, =
or
should I just have one giant root drive and then have vinum split things =
up?
Given vinum is dependent on ufs, the corruption issue probably still =
holds
true. Is there a choice - in other words have one big unix filesystem =
and
use vinum to partition or have many unix partitions and each one is
transitioned into a vinum volume?

Sorry for long post - just lot's of things trying to figure out. Would
appreciate any comments / advice on any particular point. Clearly a =
FreeBSD
newbie, but been going through the books and trying to figure this thing
out.

Richard

Fed up with RedHat and found the power of FreeBSD, but power =3D =
complexity.=20