Date:      30 Jul 2001 09:13:07 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mail Toaster CLUSTER

Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it> writes:

> > Replacing the vqalive software with some load
> > balancing with failover
> > mechanisms, such as balance
> > (http://balance.sourceforge.net) or any of
> > the commercial products.
>
> And for balance.sourceforge.net, does it shares a
> single Ip?

What's the point of the VQalive box? It seems to me it introduces
another single point of failure. Perhaps if you had two of them and
used VRRPd you'd avoid the SPOF.

But really, if you eliminate the VQalive box and set both MX boxes are
equal-weights in the DNS, then inbound mail will automatically
load-balance to them.

I guess I don't see the added value of the VQalive box and only see a
negative.