Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:15:36 +0100
From:      Daniel Rock <D.Rock@t-online.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: as segfaulting during world-build

Szilveszter Adam schrieb:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:27:17AM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > No, I don't think it is hardware. It died on the same spot for the
> > third time in a row:
> <...>
>
> What date is the -CURRENT you are attempting the build on from? There were
> problems with as failing for a while not long ago. Check your version of
>
> src/lib/libc/stdio/findfp.c
>
> (the installed one...) to see if it is revision 1.15 or later. If not, you
> will have to get a working as (and as reported by Martin Blapp, the other
> binutiles in /usr/bin/ and /usr/libexec/elf too) from somwhere like an ftp
> snapshot... if this is not the problem, I dunno, I did not have any such
> problems even though I have just finished a buildworld.

I did have the same problem. But just rebuilding binutils didn't help either.
Trying to rebuild libc resulted in above SEGV from as. Some sort of Catch 22

I didn't have a working libc.so.5, so I just did the following:

% cp /usr/lib/libc.so.4 /tmp/libc.so.5
[Maybe it's in /usr/lib/compat - I even found a libc.so.3 in /usr/lib. Hasn't
been reinstalled since Mid 1998]
% cd /usr/src/lib/libc; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp make all install

--
Daniel