Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:22:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darryl Williams <Darryl@etseq.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions re FreeBSD 3.3 Installation

On Tuesday, 14 December 1999 at 21:30:53 +1100, Darryl Williams wrote:
> We at Etseq IT (Melbourne, Australia) recently purchased the FreeBSD 3.3
> Power Pak installation package from Walnut Creek CDROM (ie 4 X 3.3 FreeBSD
> CDs, 6 X FreeBSD Toolkit CDs and the Complete FreeBSD manual/book) and are
> undergoing a number of problems which may possibly be related to the
> installation media provided (See original Email request/invoice below).
>
> Some of the specific problems are:
>
> 1.  During installation of some of the Ports Collection packages it was
> continually noted that a number of packages were not successfully loaded
> with many Error 1 messages reported generally at the stage (possibly during)
> that pkg_add was being employed.

Error 1 is an abnormal termination.  Reporting "error 1 messages" is
like saying "we received error messages".

> This would occur for approximately 30% of the packages.

As others have observed, we need specifics.

> In particular it was noted for qpopper and some netscape
> items. After the Ports Collection installation was completed it was
> attempted to manually install the qpopper2.53 package (using
> pkg_add) from the tgz file located in packages/mail on the CDROM
> (#1) but this was not successful, even a simple unix copy of the
> file from the CDROM to the FREEBSD Unix box (using cp) was not
> possible.

Again, we need details.

> A download file from www.qualcomm.com was eventually obtained and
> this seemed to be successfully loaded enabling POP3 to be initiated
> and tested (refer also to page 559 of the Complete FreeBSD
> Handbook).

Page 559 doesn't suggest this approach.

> 2. The required installation of popclient (v???) did not result
> (refer also p 560 of Handbook). Is this indeed a problem?  It was
> noted that no references to popclient files were available on
> CD#1. Is there indeed another source for this package or indeed is
> it now superseded by something else (perhaps wmpop3?).

Sorry, yes, popclient has been retired.  The replacement is fetchmail.
Time for another erratum, I suppose.

> 3. As far as the Netscape browser is concerned (eithet 4.0 or 4.6
> Communicator and Navigator). We appear only at present to have access to a
> Japanese version (ie weird characters) during an X Windows session. Is this
> possible? Is there an obvious solution/remedy? (Refer also p 564-567 of
> Handbook).

It's difficult to guess what you've done wrong.  I've never heard of
anybody accidentally installing the Japanese version.

> 4. The majordomo (v1.94.4?) package did not appear to be successfully loaded
> (this is a mailing lists package). There appeared to be no specific package
> files for this and even a downloaded .tar.Z file from SGI did not appear to
> be of assistance.

No, it wouldn't be.

> Once again was the problem with the CDROM or are we missing
> something?

There's no majordomo package on the CD-ROM, probably for copyright
reasons.  There is a port, though.

> Any possible assistance by way of response(s) to these problems would be
> appreciated. In particular whether it is preferable to download package
> files from the Net separately as a matter of course.

No, unless there's a bug in the package, don't do that.  It will give
you more headaches in the long term.

> Are in fact other users having problems obtaing successful
> results/installations using the current media provided.

Definitely.  Based on your input, it's difficult to say what's gone
wrong, but you seem to have had more trouble than most people.

Greg