Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:48:10 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

One of the things that would be a minor prettiness improvement (hmm,
I wonder if I should TM that?)...

At the moment I have rule numbers on every rule in rc.firewall because
I want to start all my "groups" of rules at a boundary (like multiples
of 10000 for "major" groups, and multiples of 1000 for "minor" groups).
I didn't want to do it with numbers on every rule, but there didn't
seem to be many alternatives:

	if I just put "$ipfw add 10000 ..." for each rule in the group,
	then they all get the exact same number

	if I use "skipto" to set line numbers every so often then I get
	crap I don't want in the rulesets

	if I put the line number on the first line in each group, then
	I have to actually pay attention when I'm debugging a new ruleset
	as to where I've commented out lines, or inserted/deleted the first
	line in a group--that's way too hard ;-)

I'd be much happier with something in ipfw that just marked the next line
number to be used, preferably in a way that I could get it to move to the
next "grouping"--like "set the next rule number to the next multiple of
1000".

Such a thing may fall out of going to a more procedural layout, because
you could have:

	rules rfc1918 {
		# filter out and log any RFC 1918 addresses
		add deny log ...
		add deny log ...
	};

and then say something like "add rfc1918 ..." or whatever.

Of course, I guess I could achieve the same effect by using a shell variable
and a few functions in rc.firewall...

Tony