Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:59:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Smith <mksmith@chimera.noanet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gTmVpZ2FhcmQ=?= <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Subject:   Re: Are my questions stupid, to hard or am I just unlucky

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:

> In <14034112871.20020406173207@e-box.dk>, S=F8ren Neigaard <neigaard@e-bo=
x.dk> typed:
> > Just wondering, not trying to offend anyone. I have send this mail 2
> > times, and other questions as well, but I get no answers. I'm curious,
> > is it because I formulate it badly, or because nobody knows?
> >
> > Here comes my question once more:
> >
> > Does FreeBSD have something like heartbeat and mon, or something else
> > I can use for High Availability like it is described on
> > http://www.linux-ha.org/ ?
>
> Tell us what heartbeat and mon do, and maybe we can answer the
> question. Expecting people to go chase down a reference to answer your
> question is a good way to not get it answered.
>
> =09<mike

Let me give you some URL's from the first link that pops up from
www.freebsd.org when you do a search on "clustering".  As I understand it,
heartbeat is the server equivalent of Hot-standby Router Protocol whereby
machines send a notification to one another at Layer 2 to show they are
alive (or not if there is no message), letting the other server know it
has to take over the work of the first, down server upon failure.

The following URLs should disprove this;

http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/

The Parallel Virtual Machine is nothing more
than a software package that makes setting up a Cluster simple. The source
code is freely available, and will run on FreeBSD without much problem.

http://cubix.desy.de/General/bsd/bsd.html
http://acme.ecn.purdue.edu/ Advanced Computer Matrix for Engineering

(ACME) which runs the FreeBSD Operating System.
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/workshops/Talks/Mikler/mikler.html
http://www.scope.gmd.de/info/www6/technical/paper196/paper196.htmlNetBSD

for Clusers!
http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/~milind/MediaServers.html
http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D964 Daemon News

Posting, quick talk about Clustering
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/ClusterCookbook/index.html

In addition to this, Tom Rhodes is currently writing an article designed
to walk a user through setting up a Parallel Computing environment using
FreeBSD and other utilities. Keep an eye out for this article in late 2002
early 2003.