Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:28:02 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FireWire Security issues

> yes we've been aware of this problem for a year or so :-)
> I guess we need to get the filters done..
> We do of course use firewire for remote kernel debugging with great
> success so we
> need to be able to turn it off sometimes :-)

	Anyway, Firewire isn't Ethernet. A rogue device connected to an SCSI
port (or an USB port)  could sniff traffic sent to other devices, isn't
it? It's a matter of how closely-coupled do you consider the interface;
an Ethernet is more loosely coupled than a Firewire. You assume than an
Ethernet may carry dangerous traffic, but, do you assume the same for a
SCSI, a USB or a Firewire port, I mean, the kind of interface you use
for hard disks, etc?

	BTW, provided that USB ports are connected in parallel... a rogue USB
device could sniff a user's keyboard activity or even generate rogue
keyboard activity, isn't it?

	Borja.