Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 13:56:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Vs. Texas

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

>Given that your State's major computer makers have succeeded in influencing the
>due law process, I am going to make it a point NOT to buy DELL or Compaq
>computers.

CC to dan.morales trimmed in the interest of decorum.

How, on earth, does it possibly help us to send email to a government
official telling him that he is and the government he works in is corrupt?
How does this advance FreeBSD? It does not advance FreeBSD or free
software in any way, whatsoever. How does it help us to advertise that
_we_ are not interested in two major PC manufacturers?

This is not advocacy. This is vindictive.

When you CC'd this list in your communication with Dan Morales you
provided a de facto endorsement of your position by the entire FreeBSD
community.

If you really feel this way then that is your personal interaction with
your government officials. Leave me out of it.

I think that the the term "lazy" has been used (by you?) to describe BSD
advocacy on a couple occasions. If this is what it means to _not_ be lazy,
I want no part of it. Don't bash me for being "lazy" if I refuse to be
vindictive.

Don't mistake calm discussion for ineffective discussion. We need not be
bully-ish to advance FreeBSD.

I think that -advocacy should lay down some ground rules for our behaviour
in the public eye. We should write it down and make everyone abide by the
rules. This should be done in the interest of the image of FreeBSD.

The -core is fortunate in this respect, they have leadership and
organization. -Advocacy should develop the same. We should get all of our
guns pointed in the right direction before we start having friendly
casualties.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/