Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 05:52:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound driver structure and configuration

> Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:

> > > Thes should ideally be "at snd?", eg. like the 'disk' stuff, or just
> > > 'device xxx' like the SCSI devices.  They're _not_ "at isa?" in the
> > > true sense of the word.
> >
> > right. But what are the implications of using "at xyz?" ? How do I test
> > for a specific bus, etc. ?
>
> The way to go for that (at the moment) is like the PCI code; you use a
> linker set to create an aggregated list of drivers, which you then
> scan with your bus code.

more or less this is what I do now. Except that I do not leave the user
a choice of which modules to include and which not, and the actual
selection of the driver to use (if necessary at all) is done through
some bits of the 'flags' field.

I have done this because in in the sound driver there are probably a
couple of main operating modes (i.e. soundblaster and MSS) for the
codec, and all the card-specific code is for initialization or handling
special features of the board. And it is too complex to ask the user
(possibly an inexperienced one) to produce a correct configuration file
otherwise, with all the required options for his board.

> If using the PnP stuff is of interest to you, you could help me out
> with some suggestions for calling 16-bit protected-mode BIOS
> interfaces from 32-bit (eg. FreeBSD kernel) mode 8) I have reams of

unfortunately i am not enough familiar with the architecture of the
system to help out on this...

	Cheers
	Luigi