Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 12:18:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        mbarkah@hemi.com (Ade Barkah)
Subject:   Re: Poof, hard drive wiped clean...

As Ade Barkah wrote:

> One of our 2.1-R machines was backing up an nfs-mounted filesystem
> to a 4mm tape when poof, the system panicked, spewed something about
> / being mangled, rebooted, and never came back. Booting the machine
> up gives the familiar "Non-system disk..." error.

> Any ideas ? I'm going to simply repartition and reinstall
> FreeBSD on it, but I'm worried this will happen again.

Keep the fdisk and/or disklabel figures somewhere on paper.  Most of
these accidents can be recovered by relabelling the drives in
question.  (If your disk is ``dangerously dedicated'', only the
disklabel is important, the fdisk table degrades to something that's
not much used then.)

--
cheers, J"org