Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles N. Owens)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk update, background NFS mounting?

> Hi all,
> For anyone interested, I was able to get my 4 gig scsi drive going.  I
> couldn't get fdisk to do it's thing (at least as far as I could tell), so
> instead I simply booted from the install floppy and did a minimal install
> on the the new drive.  Worked like a charm.  It is a bit of a kludgy way
> to go, though.  Why can't we have a utility that has the brains of sysinstall
> that shields us from the fdisk and disklabel yuckiness?

> Anyway, my real question is regarding background NFS mounts.  Do they work?
> I tried both of the following:
> 	mount -o bg -t nfs -a       (had to dig through the source to
> 					figure out the 'bg' option :)
> and
> 	mount_nfs -b server:resource mountpoint

> and nothing got mounted!  If, however, I do a     mount -t nfs -a
> everthing appears fine (as it should).

> I'd really like to have background mounts so stuff gets remounted properly
> in the case of a big power loss.  Is this currently broken?

It works (mostly) here.  Here's an entry from fstab:

rainier:/VOL2/src		/usr/src	nfs	rw,bg,soft 0 0
rainier:/VOL2/obj		/usr/obj	nfs	rw,bg,soft 0 0
rainier:/VOL2/ports		/usr/ports	nfs	rw,bg,soft 0 0

It seems that if the NFS server is down for less than a trivial amount
of time, the NFS mount is "lost", and never regained.  Short downtimes
don't seem to cause any problems.