Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:27:09 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Caleb Walker <caleb.walker@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade with cvs fails every time... am i doing something wrong????

On 8/28/00, 7:10:39 AM, Caleb Walker <caleb.walker@home.com> wrote=20
regarding Upgrade with cvs fails every time... am i doing something=20
wrong????:

> Maybe i am doing this way wrong or something.  I do a 'cvsup -g
> stable-supfile'  and I get all of the updates I believe that It needs
> from cvs.  At least there were no errors with this step.  I then go
> to /usr/src and proceed to do 'make  world'  I get about 10 minutes
> into it(at least it feels like it) and it fails.  I was going to=20
attach
> the file but I decided to just blow it away and start fresh but I am
> going to need to upgrade the next time and I  need to do this right
> sometime so maybe someone can lay it all out.  I thought it was easy
> but I just cannot be done by me i guess.  I read the directions as far=

> as I know.  The steps I thought are :
> 1. cvsup -g stable-supfile
> 2. cd /usr/src
> 3. Make world
> 4. mergemaster
> 5. comple kernel and reboot --

> Thank You,
> Caleb Walker

Dear Caleb Walker,

In July, the source updating procedure was sligtly changed=20
(=3Dsimplified) in order to avoid rather subtle problems.

/usr/src/UPDATING, inter alia, says:

COMMON ITEMS:

<snip>

	To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
	4.x-STABLE
	----------
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNEL=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	make installkernel KERNEL=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	reboot	(in single user) [1]
	make installworld
	reboot

	[1] You can often get away without doing this step as the
	system will be properly updated.  During the running of the
	installworld, however, system components may break and other
	oddities may happen.  Don't do this on systems that aren't
	otherwise quiet as unpredictable results may happen.  If in
	doubt, reboot into single user.  For remote installs, keep
	a separate kernel around and use a serial console if at all
	possible.

<snip>

$FreeBSD: src/UPDATING,v 1.73.2.15 2000/08/26 05:05:18 imp Exp $

N.B. I assume you wish to go from 4.x to 4-STABLE.=20

As to make installworld, you might first try to do that in a test=20
directory (by specifying DESTDIR=3D/some/test/dir).    =20

Before running mergemaster (after installworld completes succesfully),=20
you might want to make a backup copy of /etc.

Please read the docs (e.g. the appropriate sections of the handbook),=20
and browse the mailing lists archives before posting.

Best of luck,
Salvo