Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:22:19 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tuning X modes

Hello,

Would be very grateful for help! When I try to set up my monitor in some
modes, e.g., in 1152x864 with mode description created by xf86config,
monitor does not understand it properly, i.e. its OSD subsystem says it is
1280x1024 and I see rather strong distortions (vertical lines to the left
are compressed comparable to ones to the right). When I change mode
description via xvidtune, the picture of distortion changes (e.g., sides
swap), but I was unable to remove it completely. However, when I test this
monitor with Windows with the same resolution I do not see any distortions
and screen size is shown correctly by the OSD. Thus the question is: how
can I choose mode description so that it was identical to Windows (VESA?)
ones? Are there general rules for that? Description in the web?

Thanks,
Alex