Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 1995 17:09:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@alpha.enc.edu>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS (yp) and login recompile?

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> >There's been much discussion recently, with the conclusion that the
> >right entry there is +:::::: - check the mail archives for more details.
>
> That is what I put in the master.passwd, but the passwd file reports it
> differently :-(
>
> ----
> Richard Wackerbarth
> rkw@dataplex.net

Thanks for the help!
I've gotten NIS to function on the master server, and I've succeeded in
getting another FBSD box to work as a client.  Now, I'm trying to get
this second box to work as a SLAVE server.

Here's what I did:
	1. On the slave:
		a. start ypserv
	2. On the master:
		a. edit /var/yp/Makefile and commented out NOPUSH="True"
		b. edit /var/yp/ypservers and added name of slave.
			Does this have to be in some special format?
		c. touch /var/yp/master.passwd
		d. make
            make starts to update the files, as it should, but then dies
		when it calls (apparantly) yppush.  Here's the output

Updating hosts.byname...
Usage: /usr/bin/yppush [ -d domain ] [ -v ] mapname ...
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

What do I do now?
Thanks for the help,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X