Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:07:21 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Jamie Howard (howardjp@wam.umd.edu), with a little help from yours
> truly, has written a BSD-licensed version of grep(1) which has all the
> functionality of our current (GPLed) implementation, plus a little
> more, in one seventh the source code and one fourth the binary code.
> What's more, the code is actually possible for mere mortals to read
> and understand.
>
> The source code is available for download from freefall:
>
>  <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~des/software/grep-0.7.tar.gz>;
>
> I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
> implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.

I'm concerned about performance. Grep performance is relevant to
some. Now, while I don't care if this grep is slower than what we
are using right now, I do care if it's _complexity_ is greater.

So, please, could you make sure the algorithmic complexity is not
greater, either by benchmark comparision, or by examining the code?

I would do it, if I had time. But right now I don't, and there is no
need to keep this waiting.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Is it true that you're a millionaire's son who never worked a day
in your life?"
	"Yeah, I guess so."
	"Lemme tell you, son, you ain't missed a thing."