Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:01:15 -0500
From:      "Toby J. Swanson" <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        "Andy Sparrow" <andy@geek4food.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <tjswanson@tva.gov>
Subject:   Re: high speed serial card support

> On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 08:39:05AM -0500, Swanson, Toby J. wrote:
> > Does one need to do anything special to enable FreeBSD to communicate
> > faster than 112,500 bps with a high speed serial card?  I'm considering
> > installing a LavaPort 650 to use with my ISDN terminal adapter.  The
Lava
> > people say once installed it becomes the next available comm port.  They
> > have a DOS utility that will report its I/O address.  It looks like one
can
> > simply compile a kernel that supports siox at the reported address and
it
> > should work.
>
> Hi.
>
> I used to use an SIIG high-speed serial card with the Startech
> 16650 UART to drive my ISDN TA. There's jumpers on the card to
> overclock the UART 1x, 2x and 4x (for 430kbs).
>
> Note that you need a reasonably late version of FreeBSD to recognise
> the 16650 and enable the larger FIFO (also need to set some flags,
> IIRC).
>
> Worked great, modulo a few "silo overflow" messages. I ended up
> running the card at the 2x setting (for 230kbs), as my ISP didn't
> offer STAC compression anyway.
>
> HTH.
>
> AS

I finally got a LavaPort 650 (single port 16650 UART), installed it in an
Intel T440BX  server mother board, Pentium II 400 Mhz, 128Mb RAM,
FreeBSD 3.3.  I modified the isa.h file to reflect the card's correct I/O
address for COM3, made the corresponding entries in the kernel
configuration file for COM3 with the correct IRQ and flags 0x20000
entry.  The board is recognized on boot up but when I
"cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 1200" (or any speed) the whole system stops dead.
No multi screens, no breaking out, can't ping the machine.  Only a front
panel reset starts the machine again.  Any thoughts on the cause?

I'm not sure what your IIRC comment is referring to.

TIA

Toby