Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:09:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@Physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        atrad.adelaide.edu.au!msmith@werple.net.au, hackers@freebsd.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: Sup!  It's killing us!  Please help!

>> > Volunteers?  Please?  I'm more than happy to work with anyone in
>> > setting up the sup collections and supscan administration.  It's
>> > not really that hard, and once it's done it basically runs itself.
>>
>> Sure - who else in Oz is considering setting this up?  (and any idea how
>> many suppers there are here?)
>
>In Oz it'd be nice if the mirror was close to the US gateway (like the
>NetBSD one is - NetBSD.rmit.edu.au) so that it doesn't load up interstate
>links.  For us, ftp'ing from Sydney is often as bad as from the US. I don't
>know what the Adelaide link is like.
>
>Does anyone from RMIT subscribe to this list??????

There are currently two US gateways.  One in Sydney (4Mbit/s) and one
in Melbourne (6Mbit/s).

The information I have on this (as of a few weeks ago) is:

] All outgoing international traffic from Canberra, Sydney and the
] non-university Queensland networks is outbound across the
] Sydney-LA links, while all outbound Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin,
] Perth and Hobart traffic is routed across the 6Mbps circuits.
]
] For incoming traffic the northern US and European transit traffic is
] inbound routed across the 6Mbps system and other traffic is inbound
] routed across the 4Mbps system.
]
] The internal distribution of traffic within the Melbourne - Canberra
] - Sydney is undertaken within a 2Mbps ring which connects the
] Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney locations.
]
] we have reconfigured the traffic flow within the south east to make
] better use of all available capacity. Incoming international traffic
] at Sydney is now load balanced across the two bearer systems, lifting
] some of transit traffic off the Canberra link systems.
]
] An additional Melbourne - Sydney 2Mbps bearer is scheduled to be in
] production in some 2 weeks from today -  which is anticipated to impose
] some short term stability on the traffic flows within this section
] of the network by removing all transit traffic from the Canberra links.

David