Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 09:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: More info about my sound card problems.

Hi Dave;

On Thu, 25 May 1995, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

context cut ...

> 3) The "chip manufacturer" is OPTi (I had to beg and plead to get that much.)
>
> 4) The IRQ settings, etc... are stored on an ASIC on the card, not in
>    NVRAM.  So, a hard boot restores the default configuration.  If you
>    want a different configuration; you have to program the chip.  (The
>    tech. support guy indicated they weren't too happy with this situation,
>    and several others, but OPTi wasn't about to change this.)

	Would i be correct in assuming that this chip is a YM3812? If so,
then given the designation, Is it possible that it is a Yamaha Musical
Products original that they just second sourced to opti? My PAS has one
of these on it, too.

	If it is, then there is a book about soundcards that i almost
bought at Barnes and Noble ( and i cant remember the name ) that has the
asm API to a butload of theser guys, so pleading at the unenthusiastic
tech support may not be needed...

> So - at this point I'd like to ask the group:
>
> 	1) Does anyone have OPTi's phone number, so I can call them
> 	   directly.
>
> 	2) Are other sound cards that have this phenomena, if so,
>            what to people do about the printer wanting to use IRQ 7.

	Uh - oh! The soundcard interrupt aggravation rears it's ugly
head! You're in for a bitch. It should be solvable. My crusty old
Micronics 386 has a jumper setting for choosing the printer IRQ to either
7 or 5. The annoying part of this is that I wanted to keep my sio ports
stock with the generic kernel, since that is my primary way of getting my
upgrades into the system ( i only have one freebsd machine ). Int 5 is
assigned to sio3 i believe...

	I sort of have it all sorted out on my machine , but it really
just takes a lot of annoying fiddling to get it all to fly. And u wind up
with a much less generic kernel...

hope this helps..

> 	  - Thanks -
> 	- Dave Rivers -

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life