Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 95 10:15:34 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Make World Times and a question about shared libs / make all

> 	The one I really want to clean up is the installation of header
> 	files, that causes more things to rebuild than anything to do
> 	with the libraries.
>
> Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I've been thinking about this too.  It's really
> painful to have to recompile everything just because install is too dumb
> to not update the mtime if the source and target are the same.

I'd say that this had to do with using install directly at all
instead of having the xxx/foo.h target depend on the yyy/foo.h
source.

In other words, it's a dependency issue.

Part of this is the fact that there is not an include dir built
in somewhere besides the system include directory, and the system
include directory is (incorrectly) being use to build things in
the build tree.

This is also a problem for cross-compilation.

The kernel build seems unable to take precompiled object files
into account when sources are unavailable.  This is necessary for
the provision of binary-only pieces (like commercial drivers).

The kernel build also seems to lack a dependency graph for the
rebuilding of some objects based on optioning things in, or the
delete/config/make_depend/make dance wouldn't be necessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.