Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:23:26 -0800
From:      Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

I've been trying to compile the connector for literally *days* now and
I'm getting really, really, really, REALLY frustrated.  I've even torn
out all my java stuff (several times) and reinstalled the defaults
(according to ports) just to try to get this to work right.  I will be
the first to admit that I am no expert on how builds should work as I'm
not accustomed to using make or ant or any of those things on my own.  I
usually install the software I need from ports and leave it at that.  My
latest attempts to compile the module (following the directions in the
README.txt which are pretty vague at best) fail with compiler errors.  I
currently have jdk1.2.2 installed as that is what the ports initially
ask for when installing Tomcat 3 & 4 and Ant.  I have also tried with
the linux-jdk's, but those just freeze up and eventually give a vm error.

I see that several folks have successfully built the module for
themselves and so I would like to know HOW this was accomplished.  The
included README.txt and BUILDING files don't tell me enough to make it
clear to me what needs to be done.  Neither do the Tomcat docs.  For
someone like me who just wants to be able to install the software and
have it work, this is an *incredibly* frustrating exercise.  However, I
do thank you all for your responses so far.  I do appreciate the
pointers and suggestions.

Thank you,
Scott

--
Scott Reese           phone: (510) 845-1609
Cody's Books          fax:   (510) 845-0484

PGP Key Fingerprint:
EB86 9EFD 52B2 371D BA73  8EEB 9A00 AF5C C420 400F