Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:02:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Shaun Loo <loo00013@umn.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GSoC 2023 MFSBSD Integration Project

--000000000000f4a48005f764758e

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023, 6:28 AM Shaun Loo <loo00013@umn.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm Shaun, a student who has been poking around with FreeBSD since the
> end of last year (installing onto various systems, recompiling the
> kernel for fun, simple stuff), and I figure I'd join FreeBSD's GSoC
> program this year and contribute to the project.
>
> I picked out the project "Integrate MFSBSD into the release building
> tools." The basic idea is to integrate MFSBSD, which generates an
> image that contains a minimal FreeBSD installation that is completely
> loaded into memory, into the release build tools. This will allow
> MFSBSD images of weekly snapshots to be generated automatically,
> rather than waiting for someone to manually generate one when new
> versions of FreeBSD are released, as well as facilitating testing
> of these images.
>
> I have already started some preliminary work on it (building
> MFSBSD for the upcoming 14.0 and familiarzing myself with FreeBSD's
> build tools) to get a feel for what I'll be trying to integrate into
> the release building tools.
>
> I've contacted Brad Davis <brd at FreeBSD dot org>, who was originally
> listed as the mentor for the project on the GSoC Ideas wiki page.
> Unfortunately, I have yet to have received a response. I've checked the
> src tree and it seems like their last commit was dated to October 2022.
>
> I've talked about this in the freebsd-soc IRC channel, and jrm has
> kindly pointed me to this mailing list as well as Martin Matuska
> <mm at FreeBSD dot org>, who maintains MFSBSD. I've tried contacting
> Martin over email yesterday and have not gotten a response.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on this list is able and willing to be my
> mentor for this project, or if there are any other build tools-related
> projects I could work on for GSoC 2023?

I am likely mentoring another project, but I can answer questions about
build related issues.

Warner

--000000000000f4a48005f764758e

class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 21, 2023, 6:28 AM Shaun Loo &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:loo00013@umn.edu" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">loo00013@umn=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>
I&#39;m Shaun, a student who has been poking around with FreeBSD since the<=
br>
end of last year (installing onto various systems, recompiling the<br>
kernel for fun, simple stuff), and I figure I&#39;d join FreeBSD&#39;s GSoC=
program this year and contribute to the project.<br>
I picked out the project &quot;Integrate MFSBSD into the release building<b=
r>
tools.&quot; The basic idea is to integrate MFSBSD, which generates an<br>
image that contains a minimal FreeBSD installation that is completely<br>
loaded into memory, into the release build tools. This will allow<br>
MFSBSD images of weekly snapshots to be generated automatically,<br>
rather than waiting for someone to manually generate one when new<br>
versions of FreeBSD are released, as well as facilitating testing<br>
of these images.<br>
I have already started some preliminary work on it (building<br>
MFSBSD for the upcoming 14.0 and familiarzing myself with FreeBSD&#39;s<br>
build tools) to get a feel for what I&#39;ll be trying to integrate into<br=

the release building tools.<br>
I&#39;ve contacted Brad Davis &lt;brd at FreeBSD dot org&gt;, who was origi=
nally<br>
listed as the mentor for the project on the GSoC Ideas wiki page.<br>
Unfortunately, I have yet to have received a response. I&#39;ve checked the=
src tree and it seems like their last commit was dated to October 2022.<br>
I&#39;ve talked about this in the freebsd-soc IRC channel, and jrm has<br>
kindly pointed me to this mailing list as well as Martin Matuska<br>
&lt;mm at FreeBSD dot org&gt;, who maintains MFSBSD. I&#39;ve tried contact=
ing<br>
Martin over email yesterday and have not gotten a response.<br>
I&#39;m wondering if anyone on this list is able and willing to be my<br>
mentor for this project, or if there are any other build tools-related<br>
t, but I can answer questions about build related issues.</div><div dir=3D"=
class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"></blockquote></div></d=
iv><div dir=3D"auto"><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=