Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:16:33 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018566993.77f10e@mired.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MBR, mfsroot.flp, handbook, and list fail me!

In <200204062154.05155@.perimeter.co.za>, Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za> typed:
> On Sat 06 Apr 02 07:42, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > On FreeBSD, the equivalent of "fdisk /mbr" is "fdisk -B", or maybe
> > "fdisk -B ad0".
> I must beg to differ : I have recently been trying to get the same
> thing done.  I can confirm that "fdisk -B ad0" is safe, as is "boot0cfg
> -B", but these install the BSD boot manager, which insists on offereing
> you a menu during the boot process.

They install two different things. fdisk installs /dev/mbr, which
should be the standard boot manager. boot0cfg installs /dev/boot0,
which is the FreeBSD boot manager. If you're getting a different
behavior, either 1) something is broken on your system, or 2) there's
a serious bug somewhere.

> Peter's question (and mine too now :) is how to "demote" it to the
> standard mbr which just boots without pausing?
>
> Is the DOS Floppy route the only answer ?

No. I've used "fdisk -B da0" to do this on my SCSI-based systems.

	<mike