Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:24:01 +0300
From:      Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
To:        kde-freebsd@freebsd.kde.org
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: Conflict between KDE and GNOME in a prefix...

Hi Joe, Mezz, Gnome, KDE,

On Saturday 26 August 2006 20:50, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 03:43 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > We, FreeBSD GNOME Team, have successed to move GNOME from X11BASE
> > to LOCALBASE. There are three files that are conflict between KDE
> > and GNOME. The two files that need to be fix in the KDE side and
> > another file that is need to be fix both in the GNOME and KDE
> > sides.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/conflict_prefix.txt
> >
> > etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu:
> > GNOME and KDE teams will have to figure how to solve this problem.
> > Take the looks at the other Linux distros or so would be a good
> > start. If you have any good suggest, let us know.
>
> We might need to create a small port that just handles conflicting
> files such as this one.  applications.menu is not huge, and should be
> interchangeable between GNOME and KDE.

How different are the versions installed by Gnome & KDE?

But yes, possibly we need an 'xdg-menu' port to cover such files.

> > libdata/pkgconfig/system-tools-backends.pc:
> > Need to be fix in the KDE side, not sure why kdeadmin installs
> > system-tools-backends's file? How about disable install it or have
> > kdeadmin depends on sysutils/system-tools-backends?
>
> Agreed.  Depending on system-tools-backends will not bring in any
> unnecessary GNOME baggage for KDE.

Lofi has already made a change to deal with this in the (not yet
committed) KDE 3.5.4 ports.

> > share/icons/hicolor/index.theme:
> > Need to be fix in the KDE side. The kdelibs will have to change the
> > path or/and create patch, because hicolor-icon-theme is a fd.org
> > icon standard. The hicolor-icon-theme is not exactly a GNOME stuff,
> > which it's for general desktops.
>
> Same as above.  misc/hicolor-icon-theme does not depend on any GNOME
> bits, so adding a dependency on it should not be a big deal, yes?

Probably doable as suggested. Not sure how different the hicolor theme
installed by KDE is to the hicolor-icon-theme port, but I'm sure the
problem is solvable.

> What say you, kde@?

Well, I'll let lofi comment on things better (since he's more familiar
with the KDE ports structure than I am), but personally I think it
should be ok.

Andy
Just one of kde@

--