Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:35:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plans to change our debugging format to DWARF2

> >I'd say go for it.  But of course we want to MFC this to 4.x as well
> >some point in the future.  Along with all the other compiler changes.
>
> Why?  This strikes me as a major change to a critical part of the
> system - well beyond what I would expect to see in -stable.
>
> Somewhat over a year ago (from memory) there was an extended debate
> about upgrading from gcc2.7.2.2 to gcc2.8.1 or ECGS.  At that time
> there was substantial resistance to the change - on the basis that
> the behaviour of gcc2.7.2.2 was well understood.  Whilst ECGS (and
> later gcc2.95) were merged into 4-current, it was never MFC'd back
> to 3.x.

Actually, my reasoning had to do with templates and the additional
overhead for non-threaded programs, if threaded programs were
ever to be supported vs. the inability to support threaded programs
if the overhead was removed.

The GCC code had a dynamic mechanism for per thread exception
stacks, which did not have the additional overhead, unles one
was actually using threads in C++.

The reason the current ACAP code can not be compiled on FreeBSD,
and the reason the STL threads primitive classes do not work as
expected, as well as the recent linker problems involving the
FreeBSD "ld", in combination with template class errors, are all
attributable to the move to EGCS.

Too bad EGCS has not caught up with GCC + the patches by Jeremy
Allison and myself from over a year ago...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.