Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 12:27:49 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts with PCI devices?

>On Mar 16, 18:49, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
>} Subject: Sharing interrupts with PCI devices?
>} I saw some commits go by about sharing interrupts under PCI.  The
>} PCI motherboard I have has an aic7870 on it, and when a 2940 is
>} also in the machine, the bios assigns them the same interrupt.
>} The probe appears to run fine for the first card, but the second
>} card hangs sortly after initialization.  I haven't found a way to
>} force them onto separate interrupts in the BIOS or elsewhere, so
>} it looks like I'm stuck (the onboard controller cannot be disabled
>} :-().  Does the PCI code already contain logic to pass the proper
>} unit number down to the driver if two cards use the same interrupt?
>
>Shared interrupts have been working
>for some time on our local systems,
>and the code will be put into the
>CVS repository Real Soon Now (TM).
>
>PCI interrupts can be shared, but ISA
>interrupts will have to be assigned
>uniquely as before.

Why can't we chain them?  I thought that the PCI spec allowed for PCI
devices to share ISA irqs.

>The PCI code generally finds the IRQ
>line the PCI interrupt is routed to
>by a PCI BIOS call, or (as the current
>BSD code does) in a PCI configuration
>space register.

I take it that both methods return the same result.

>The NCR driver doesn't install an
>interrupt handler if the IRQ found
>this way is '0'. It works in a polled
>mode instead. There is nothing to
>prevent you from making the driver
>configuration depend on the IRQ being
>specified. So it's in fact quite easy
>to selectively disable the aic7870 in
>the above mentioned case ...

So how do I enforce an irq?  Can I just specify it in the
kernel config file?  My irq comes out as 10 for both the
onboard controller and the separate 294x.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1