Date:      Sun, 6 May 2012 08:26:44 -0400
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem with dhclient after update to FreeBSD-8.3

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:48:31 +0100
Matthew Seaman articulated:

>On 05/05/2012 19:30, Carmel wrote:
>> I just updated my system to "FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #0" from version
>> 8.2. I was getting warning messages regarding "webcamd" at boot-up;
>> however, I got them fixed (I think) I loaded: cuse4bsd_load="YES" in
>> the loader.conf file and placed: webcamd_enable="YES" in the rc.conf
>> file. I had never used it before; however, I am assuming that the
>> 8.3 version somehow requires it.
>
>What's happening is that 8.3 has introduced more comprehensive support
>for a wider range of USB devices.  It's just picking up on the presence
>of a webcam now and suggesting software that could manage it.
>
>You don't need to enable the webcam at all: the kernel will recognise
>it as a webcam from its built-in identifying codes, but unless you
>enable some software to deal with it, it won't be able to do anything.

While that may well be true, it does clutter up the boot-up process
with a lot of sinister if only benign looking warning messages. There
should be a way to silence them or at least make the warning message
less sinister looking. Something like: "webcamd present but not
enabled" like is done for other devices.

>This usually shows up with USB ethernet devices suddenly appearing and
>cluttering up ifconfig(8) output -- unlike webcams, ethernet interfaces
>generally do have kernel level support automatically enabled.  devd
>will try and run dhclient on the interface to configure it, which I
>guess is where your extra dhclent invocation is coming from. It is
>possible to turn this behaviour off by adding something like:
>
>   hint.usb.0.disabled=1
>
>into /boot/loader.conf but this is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut,
>as that turns off that usb bus entirely.  (Warning: This may well have
>deleterious effects on your ability to use a keyboard or mouse with the
>system: use cautiously.  Also, change that '0' to the appropriate bus
>number if you need to)

I think I will skip the sledgehammer technique for now. Thanks for the
suggestion though.  :)

>> "dhclient" is listed as starting at the beginning of the log and
>> again at the end. I never had this happen when using FreeBSD-8.2. I
>> am still confused as to why "devd" wants to start "webcamd"
>
>devd only wants to start webcamd because you've installed the webcamd
>software including /usr/local/etc/devd/webcamd.conf  If you pkg_delete
>the webcamd stuff and then restart devd, it won't try starting up
>webcamd any more.

I don't think removing it is really an option:

pkg_info -R webcamd-3.5.0.2
Information for webcamd-3.5.0.2:

Required by:
gstreamer-plugins-all-1.3.0.10.1_12
gstreamer-plugins-v4l2-0.10.30,3
kde-4.7.4_1
kde-workspace-4.7.4_1
kdeartwork-4.7.4_1
kdenetwork-4.7.4_2
kdeplasma-addons-4.7.4_1
kdetoys-4.7.4_1
kdeutils-4.7.4_2
phonon-gstreamer-4.5.1
qt4-4.7.4
qt4-qtconfig-4.7.4

Interestingly enough, I never had "webcamd" initiated in
the /etc/rc.conf file and never received a warning message about it
having to be initialized until the update to FreeBSD-8.3. I am not sure
if this should be considered a BUG or what. It doesn't appear that any
of the software that requires it to be installed also require it to be
running at boot-up. I don't even know who, if anyone, I should report
this behavior to.

>> All I guess I really have to get corrected is the "dhclient" thing,
>> assuming it is a real problem and just not some useless noise.
>
>The 'dhclient already running' message is untidy, but harmless.  It's
>the rc system refusing to start a duplicate dhclient process on some
>interface.  As your network interface is via a PCI  device, I can't see
>why devd would think it should try and restart dhclient for it.

There does appear to be a PR listed against this behavior as noted in
Warren's post on this thread.
	<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=165477>;

Thanks for your assistance Matthew.

--