Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:55:52 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Subject:   Re: Editor for Word files

Christopher

>     Anybody know of a text based editor that I can just view and/or
> edit Microsoft Word documents?

While I eschew all things MS, I believe that Word docs are described in
XML nowadays, which means the actual file is readable as text and
therefore can be viewed directly with any editor.

If you want to get the text out of a Word doc so you can edit it as a text
document, take a look at "antiword" (/usr/ports/textproc/antiword) - a
.doc to .txt translator.

If you're looking for a word processor which can read and manipulate .doc
files, then look into OpenOffice, StarOffice or AbiWord, all as various
versions in ports. Make sure to read the archives on these programs for
important details.

Of course I urge you to not perpetuate the backward and indefensible
practice of exchanging information in proprietary document formats.

-Andrew-