Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:56:00 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE and DES-password encryption failure

Hello,

> But I ran
> into problems! The encryption scheme for the system is DES, not MD5.
> KDE allows to lock screen, but I can not type in any kind of password,
> it is not accepted. Only for those users with a MD5 stylish password
> in the password database access is granted.

For the archives, I see this problem, too. But it only applies to the
screen-lock-facilitie. KDM-login is working just fine. Are there other k-tools,
which would use passwords? Just to check their behaviour.
Until now I always thought, itīs a permission problem, because it worke for
root, but not for users. But now I see that root has MD5 password style and
users DES. Can anybody explain, why? I didnīt change this, so is this kind of
default?

> Can anybody tell me how I can figure KDE to accept DES styl passowrds?
> Maybe it is only the screen-lock facility, but I do not know so I want to
> ask before trying myself to get rid of the problem and likely destroying
> the installed system again.

I once was told to wait for KDE 2, which would fix the problem, but I doubt now,
that there is no simpler solution (and also that it will be fixed in KDE 2, as
the prolem wasnīt understood completely until now. At least this is the first
time I see someone pointing to different pw-encryption schemes instead of
root-permission problems. Should this be forwarded to some KDE list, maybe?)

Ciao
Siegbert