Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:45:44 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        samueljose@hotmail.com (Samuel Jose Moses)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question on telnet

Hi Samuel,

The RFC for telnet is 854 -- you can get it from www.faqs.org, or from
the internet society (www.rfc-editor.org).

From memory (I can't find my copy of the RFC at the moment), the protocol
is fairly straightforward. There is no need to negotiate options, and you
should be able to just send straight text. The Telnet protocol defines
something called an 'NVT' (Network Virtual Terminal), which defines the
characteristics of the control characters. Also, at the top of the 8-bit
character space are some reserved characters -- from memory, it is just
the byte 255 -- check RFC 854 for details.

If your just using straight 7-bit ascii, you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, java uses unicode (16-bit) character encodings natively, so you'll
have to tell java to convert its characters into ASCII. I've forgotten
how to do that, but the JDK docs should tell you.

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)