Date:      Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:43:30 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD handles leapsecond correctly

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20060102221948.EBE475D09@ptavv.es.net>, "Kevin Oberman" writes:
>>Leap years are an artifact of a lousy calendar that has origins over 2
>>millennia ago. Many calendars have been proposed which fix this, but
>>calendar reform is simply not going to happen in our society, but leap
>>years are a known, non-varying and trivially calculable issue. No magic
>>and trivial to handle.
>
> Interestingly, the main reason why calendar reform is a no-talk
> issue seems to be that The Vatican owns the standardization area
> of calendars because they have written all (relevant) standards for
> the area in the past.

Didn't the EU come up with the Feb 24 -> Feb 29 leap day change?

Anyway, the Vatican certainly hasn't produced all the standards for our
calendar -- they may have owned the calendar recently, but before their
days it was mangled by Roman emperors, and I believe that it originated
about 4000 years before that, along the banks of the Nile.

Colin Percival