Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:57:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc (2940UW) driver in 3.3

Darren Reed wrote...

> Some time ago I reported corruption using 2.2.8 with an DDRS-39130
> connected to a 2940UW.  I've done some testing today with 3.3, on
> a totally different box, with a brand new scsi cable (never before
> used).  Still I see corruption.  It's not in the same place every
> time.  My test involves dd'ing /dev/zero to create a 300MB file and
> then outputting that file in hex, looking for non-zero bytes.  What
> surprised me was it even passed a couple of times.
>
> Before I go blaming the drive, can anyone categorically confirm that
> parity is enabled and enforced in the FreeBSD driver for the 7880 ?
>
> For example, has anyone actually seen evidence that it handles parity
> errors ?

Yes, it handles parity errors:

(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x10f
SCSIRATE == 0x88
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x110
SCSIRATE == 0x88
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x110
SCSIRATE == 0x88
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x10f
SCSIRATE == 0x88
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x10f
SCSIRATE == 0x88
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 31 d9 80 0 0 4 0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Initiator detected error message received

That's from a mid-August -stable machine that most likely has a bad
cable.

I'm not sure, however, whether the driver pays attention to the parity
setting in the Adaptec BIOS, or what effect that has on things.  You should
make sure that you have parity checking enabled in your BIOS.

I haven't seen any corruption problems with the driver, and yours is the
first report I've seen.

Do you have parity memory, and is parity checking or ECC enabled?  It may
be unlikely for the same problem to happen on two different machines, but
it is possible.

Since the drive is the common element, I would be inclined to place the
blame there.  Do you have trouble with any other SCSI hard disks and the
same machine/controller/cable combination?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org