Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2020 22:16:35 +0200
From:      Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org>
To:        Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gcc versus clang issue for 32-bit binaries

> On 10. Jun 2020, at 20:30, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> MAP_FIXED is generally bad news, as it overwrites any prior mappings =
within the range of addresses being mapped to.
>=20
> They should use MAP_FIXED | MAP_EXCL instead, which will fail if any =
mappings already exist in the range, and then maybe retry with another =
range if it fails. Linux and NetBSD have MAP_TRYFIXED instead, which =
does the retrying internally. Or at the very least, run mincore() on =
every page in the range to verify that nothing is mapped before using =
mmap() with MAP_FIXED.
It is used in syzkaller. Some go code generates C include files... So =
right now I might want
to stick with a value.
>=20
> If there is no other way but to use a single hardcoded value, check =
/proc/<pid>/map for a number of different processes, 32 and 64 bit, and =
find an address range that isn't used often.
Thanks for the hint. I tried to find one. Let's see how good this guess =
is.

Best regards
Michael
>=20
> Damjan
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 7:40 PM Michael Tuexen <tuexen@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
> > On 10. Jun 2020, at 18:59, Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >=20
> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 06:41:50PM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>=20
> >> consider the following program test.c:
> >>=20
> >> #include <sys/mman.h>
> >> #include <stdio.h>
> >>=20
> >> int=20
> >> main(void)
> >> {
> >>      void *p;
> >>     =20
> >>      p =3D mmap((void *)0x20000000, 0x1000000, PROT_READ | =
PROT_WRITE | PROT_EXEC, MAP_ANON | MAP_PRIVATE | MAP_FIXED, -1, 0);
> >>      printf("p=3D %p\n", p);
> >>      return (0);
> >> }
> >>=20
> >> On i386 the following happens:
> >> * when compiling it with cc and running it, it crashes.
> >> * when compiling it with gcc it runs fine.
> >>=20
> >> On amd64 the following happens:
> >> * when compiling it with cc -m64 it runs fine.
> >> * when compiling it with cc -m32 is crashes.
> >> * when compiling it with gcc -m64 it runs fine.
> >> * when compiling it with gcc -m32 it runs fine.
> >>=20
> >> So why does the above program crash when compiled for 32-bit when =
using clang, but runs fine when compiled with gcc.
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/sys/targets/targets.go#L45=
0