Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:02:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Skynet1@Cris.com
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Checking mail

In a previous message, Charlie Root said:

Please use the enter key every 72 characters or so.

> Help! When I check my mail in FreeBSD as ROOT, I can't figure out how
> to read them and trash them...they keep piling up!!
What mail package are you using. If just /bin/mail, the command is 'd'
to delete. See the man page. In fact, 'd' works in elm, and pine, and
probably a bunch of others.

> Help! I don't know how to create users on my system that are aliases
> to other users, (same home directories, same mail box)

Create them in passwd (master.passwd) using vipw, and give them the same
uid:

eg:

realuser:*:500:500::0:0:Real User:/home/dir:/bin/sh
alias1:*:500:500::0:0:Alias User 1:/home/dir:/bin/sh
alias2:*:500:500::0:0:Alias User 2:/home/dir:/bin/sh
alias3:*:500:500::0:0:Alias User 3:/home/dir:/bin/sh

> Help! I can't seem to configure my PCI Ethernet card!! I know the IRQ
> is 11, I know the memory ranges, but I don't know the address so I
> haven't been able to configure it. HELP!

I'm probably not much help here. But you must give questions more information
than this. What type of card is it? Are you using the GENERIC kernel or have
you built your own? If using your own, did you include the device for that
ethernet card?

> Help!! I downloaded, for XFree, all the binaries, and the SVGA and VGA
> servers, and the english fonts... I configured it but I doesn't wanna
> work! What do I type? Startx seems to come up with error messages and
> Initx doesn't register as a program.

startx is how you'd generally start it, if you don't run xdm. If you
gave us the error messages, maybe we could help.

> HELP!! Is it possible for me to have more than 3 TTYs on my computer
> (the default)??
Yep, pretty easy. Make the devices and edit /etc/ttys, kill -1 1

> HELP!! How do I remove users from my system!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!! <---------

vipw - remove the line for the user
vi /etc/aliases - remove reference to the user
newaliases
rm -r /home/user_dir

There is also a beta rmuser script available on the net somewhere

> Please respond ASAP! Please NOT to this address but to Skynet1@Cris.com
>
> > SKYNET1@CRIS.COM

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370