Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:13:24 +0400 (DST)
From:      "Sergei S. Laskavy" <laskavy@cs.msu.su>
To:        langfod@dihelix.com
Cc:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM, security@FreeBSD.ORG, mario1@PrimeNet.Com, johnnyu@accessus.net
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

    David> I recently caught a breakin faily simaliar.  The perp
[...]    David> replace /bin/login with one that would let them login to
    David> ANY account with a password of "lemmein". The login would
    David> NOT be logged and so it was very difficult to tell what was
    David> going on.

    David> My only guess is that they used the old suidperl hack to
    David> get root.  Supposedly this doesnt work on newer perl
    David> though.

Please, add a note about insecure sperl4.036 and sperl5.003 somewhere
in ERRATA.TXT or in SECURITY.TXT or even in README.TXT and maybe in
some other appropriate places.

People are still just downloading the "bin" distribution and then
hackers are able to gain root easily.