Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2018 10:43:28 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Ludovit Koren <ludovit.koren@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve - windows7 installation

Bezüglich Ludovit Koren's Nachricht vom 01.03.2018 19:29 (localtime):

…
>     >> bhyve: passthru device 0/26/0 BAR 0: base 0xd4739000 or size 0x400 not page aligned
>     >                                                                ^^^^^
>     >>
>     >> bhyve: failed to initialize BARs for PCI 0/26/0
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> pciconf -vlb ppt0@pci0:0:26:0
>     >> ppt0@pci0:0:26:0:       class=0x0c0320 card=0x17df103c chip=0x1e2d8086 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
>     >> vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     >> device     = '7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller'
>     >> class      = serial bus
>     >> subclass   = USB
>     >> bar   [10] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xd4739000, size 1024, enabled
>     >                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>     > Due to the design of the IOMMU you can only manage IO space in page
>     > (4096 on x86) granually sizes.  The device your trying to pass in
>     > has a 1024 byte memory region that is part of a 4096 byte page that
>     > may have other things in it.
>
>     > At this time bhyve does not have any way to deal with this, though some
>     > other hypervisors have techniques that make this work.
>
> I used VirtualBox. I gave a try to bhyve. I am using FreeBSD for all work
> I need. I need windows for some tasks: some VPN (I am not able to
> connect with vpnc, openconnect, racoon, strongswan), Iphone backup,
> etc. I am not able to use a single hypervisor for all of that. Could you
> recommend one?

I know your situation – I tried virtualbox-ose-3.2.8 (~8 yeras ago) and
it's still running on my ancient workstation. Simply works for the one
XP I need to have arround for some of the named reasons.

Regarding USB-related requirements, I always found a device which made
trouble – even with ESXi's generally very well working USB passthrough.
So I use a USB-Device-IP-bridge.  The one I import from USA to Europe,
because of it's yet problemfree design/hardware/(Win-)software, can be
found for ~US$55.- if you search for ID-DS0611-S1 – might be out of
budget for private use though...

I'm very curious about the workaround avg@ posted.
For all server virtualization tasks I switched to bhyve(8) half a year
ago for my local office.  It simply works (for FreeBSD + Win2012R2
guests) and I'm happily finding workarounds for current limitations in
favour of having a bare metal ZFS storage subsystem in parallel to the
hypervisor :-)

Thanks to all coders for this nice OS extention!

-harry