Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:01:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my Wincast, fxtv

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > > Next release of the sound driver will not use isa_dmastatus from isa.c
> > > rather I will duplicate the functionality in the sound driver.
> >
> > Am I the only person that thinks that this is unbelievably stupid?
>
> I don't want to get into a huge argument about this, but...

Me neither, although Amancio appears to have come to the discussion
with an enormous slice of Idaho's finest perched beside his ear, so
it's being a bit hard to achieve a middle ground.

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but Amancio stated what his
> requirements were, and why, and why the current isa_dmastatus
> code was logically combining  multiple things which he needed to
> be discrete, but which the other drivers using isa_dmastatus
> didn't care whether they were discrete or not.

Fair enough.  This is different from his ransom note of last week, and
likely of next week as well.  Note that, in contrast, Luigi Rizzo, who
appears to be working with Amancio and that camp, is quite happy with
the original code (and actually proposed it in the first place).

> In other words, there's a historical lumping that occurred without
> consideration for the needs of the sound drivers, and rather than
> acknowledging this and correcting the granularity of the implementation,
> there is general defense of the status quo for no apparent reason other
> than "it is the status quo, and it's less work".

If this was all it was, I would happily consider helping with a
remodelling of the DMA support, subject to the ISA gods and the
desires of the sound crew, to help come up with a better interface.

But for this to be worthwhile, we need a consistent set of
requirements. Signals from the sound camp say that Luigi's code is the
future of sound support as we know it, and as such I've been following
his requirements (albeit lagging a little).  OTOH, general consensus
is that Amancio's work is a QnD designed to get _something_ working
now, so to me it makes little sense to try to track.

If we can see some consensus from the consumers, perhaps?