Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:35:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        lynch@rush.net (P Lynch)
Cc:        christoph.prevezanos@post.uni-bielefeld.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice4 SP3 ... again

> the SP3 version of Star Office does not work with linux emulation on
> FreeBSD, there is some speculation as to why this is true, and someone I
> talked to at USENIX said it had something to do with how it uses the linux
> procfs.
>
> I do not see this being fixed anytime soon, so you might want to try
> applixware under linux emulation.

Well, try the follwing:

1. Unpack the sp3 distribution
2. cd into the Install directory (where setup.bin is)
3. sed -e 's,/proc/%u/cmdline,/tmp/so40cmdline,' < setup.bin > setup.new
4. mv setup.new setup.bin
5. chmod 755 setup.bin
6. touch /tmp/so40cmdline
7. ./setup

The install program should run and install StarOffice. Maybe I missed some
step but this is closely what I have done.

However, the installed thing doesn't run properly and consumes only cpu time
but I hadn't had time to investigate this yet...

	-Andre