Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:19:22 -0800
From:      Michael <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PLIST verification script?

Chuck Robey writes:
>> > Hi, I was wondering if someone had written a script to verify that everyth
>ing
>> > a port installs was mentioned in the pkg/PLIST file or possibly even helpe
>> > to create/update that file.  Maybe this could be added to a future version
>> > of portlint?
>>
>> I don't think there is a tool which does this. I've thrown some
>> ideas together in PR docs/9375 as a patch to the Handbook which you
>> might find useful.
>>
>> My patch, and OpenBSD's "plist" target in its bsd.port.mk, might be
>> a useful starting point for anyone wanting to write such a script.
>
>I think, in order to do this, you have to have enough room for a
>chroot'ed environment.  I usually just capture the entire listing of the
>port's install run, and (comparing it against the port's makefile to
>catch stuff that had "@" inserted in front of it) do a careful
>comparison.  I've never been caught out yet, although it takes a while
>for some huge ports.

Maybe adding something like this would be useful to add to bsd.port.mk.
Have it show what the port actually installed/changed before creating a PLIST
file.  Manual intervention would probably still be a good thing as parts
of the PLIST file are added by the Makefile (MAN stuff).

FIND?=  /usr/bin/find
DIFF?=  /usr/bin/diff

before-install: build
	${FIND} ${PREFIX} | ${SED} -e "s#${PREFIX}##" > ${WRKDIR}/prefix-before

after-install: install
	${FIND} ${PREFIX} | ${SED} -e "s#${PREFIX}##" > ${WRKDIR}/prefix-after

	${DIFF} -U 1 ${WRKDIR}/prefix-pre ${WRKDIR}/prefix-post \