Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 07:22:33 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two FBSD slices on one disk - losing mountpoints?

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 06:07:15AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > ad0s1 should be different than ad0s2.  If you run "disklabel -r ad0s1"
> > and "disklabel -r ad0s2", you should see the offsets on your disks.
>
> Right now, no. ad0s1 is a Windozw(tm) ME slice that will be FBSD 4.5-REL
> as soon as I'm comfortable getting it on there.

Ah, okay.

> > You cannot have two mount points of the same name at the same time.  Try this:
> >
> > unmount ad0s2a /
> > remount ad0s2a / as oldroot
> >
> > unmount ad0s2f /usr
> > remount ad0s2f /oldusr
> >
> > umount ad0s2e /var
> > remount ad0s2e /oldvar
>
> You mean while running FBSD in ad0s2, or while in 'sysinstall' on booting
> the 4.5-REL install CD?

While booting the 4.5 CD.

In theory, you shouldn't need to remount these partitions.  In
practice, when I've done this I've always felt better seeing these in the list.

You will also want to be sure to "toggle newfs" off on these existing
partitions, so that the new install doesn't overwrite them!  Gah, I
haven't had coffee either!

> > This will give you the necessary warm fuzzies to know you aren't
> > blowing up your system.
> Then, after installation in ad0s1 is done and it's running, re-'disklabel'
> the partitions in ad0s2 to their proper names?

I gathered from your original message that you wanted two separate
installs of FreeBSD on this one disk.  Is this not the case?

mount points are taken from /etc/fstab.

> I just had this thought, but it's early, and I've only had one coffee so
> far: Boot the 4.5-REL install CD, and while in its 'fdisk' change the
> slice type of the FBSD in ad0s2 to something else, say 77 (QNX), then re-
> allocate ad0s1 to FBSD, and preceed on to 'disklabel'. After installation
> is complete, go back to 'fdisk' while running FBSD in ad0s1, and change
> ad0s2's partition type back to 165 (FBSD)?

No, no, no!  Bad idea.  You don't want to actually write any real changes.

You see, those "mount points" are simply entries in /etc/fstab.  I've
had mulitple UNIX installs on an old machine, which sadly no longer
exists.  If you booted BSD #1, the slices for BSD #2 were mounted as
(i.e.)  /other/usr.  If you booted BSD #2, the slices for BSD #1
showed up as /other/usr.  These mount points vary with the OS you
boot.

When your root is /dev/ad0s1a, the /etc/fstab in that root is used.
Mount names are taken from there.

When your root is /dev/ad0s2a, the /etc/fstab in that root is used.  See?

> Whether I fool 'sysintall' by jimmying the slice type, or the partition
> mountpoints, of ad0s2, this would be enough to guarantee that 'sysinstall'
> works only in ad0s1?

If you toggle newfs off, it won't touch ad0s2.

> When all is done, it's a 'sysinstall disklabel' mechanics thang that won't
> allow two like-named partitions, right? They can exist on a disk, but you
> just can't get there through 'sysinstall'?

You cannot have two like-named partitions in a single OS instance.

> > Then you can create a new ad0s1a /, and so on.  Plus, you can recycle
> > ad0s2b as swap for your new install.  :)
>
> Actually, I'll be doing it the other way around, 'cuz I've added RAM, and
> ad0s2b is now too small, but yes, I'll be cross-mounting the swap partition.

> Thanks for the reply; I'm getting edgy on a time-constraint here!
> Dave

No problem, hope this helps.

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org