Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:47:11 -0700
From:      "vizion communication" <vizion@ixpres.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MSI K7N420 Pro Motherboard Issues

Hi

I am having problems with installing X on this motherboard
using the integrated video. It works fine using a Matrox
Millenium II which I took off another machine but would like
to free up both the slot  and the graphics card!

The video chip is by nvidia .
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/lo/1420/SUPP/SPPIGP.pdf

The version number is 013913.

According to the board manufacturers this chip includes the
circuitry for the on board RJ45 lan connection which does
not seem to function under FreeBSD 4.5. (it functions fine
with a standard lan card which is taking up another valuable
PCI slot!!)

Support for linux/open GL is apparently available  incuding
a download from www.nvidia.com. Can anyone give me any
guidanceon on how to proceed under FreeBSD?.

If I try to run XFree using this graphics chip the system
crashes.

Another issue with the K7N420 is the on board sound chip
which I understand to be an ADI 1885. Information is
available from:
http://products.analog.com/products/info.asp?product=AD1885

 When fully configured this machine is destined to handle
(among other things)  mail as part of the process of moving
from M$ mail clients but I want to be sure remaining
configuration issues havce been dealt with before moving the
mail and other services from dependency on ISP servers to
our own freeBSD servers, network and clients.

The decision has been made to finally ditch M$ - their new
egregiously offensive licensing system was, coming on top
off performance and security issues, the final straw. No
more dlls!

Thanks

David