Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:40:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        dave.preece@kbgroup.co.nz (Dave Preece)
Cc:        marc@netstor.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP checksum offloading with intel 82559 fast ethernet.

> > Don't some of the Gigabit FreeBSD drivers actually utilize
> > the on-board
> > checksum processing???

FreeBSD 5.0-current has support for TCP/IP checksum offload, and the
if_ti driver makes use of it. The Tigon NICs do this in firmware though.
I attempted to add support to the SysKonnect driver, however the transmit
side checksum offload support apparently doesn't work, and the receive
side offloading has a bug which requires a bit of a workaround.

The 3Com 3c90xB/3c90xC chips are also supposed to support checksum
offload, but as of yet I haven't had much luck getting this to work
either.

-Bill