Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:38:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions Mailgroup)
Subject:   can anybody make sense of this info?

  I've been trying to get a new SCSI drive mounted as sd1 for the
  past 2 weeks.  I keep stumbling into obstacles....  It's closer
  and closer, but not-quite.

  Every time I reboot, dmesg prints this error:

  sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
  sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic

  Can anybody help me get rid of this error so that the mount of
  sd1c is clean?

  In /etc/fstab I have:

  /dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
  /dev/sd0s1b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
  /dev/sd0s1e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
  /dev/sd0s1f                     /var            ufs     rw 1 1
  /dev/sd0s1g                     /usr/local              ufs     rw 1 1
  #
  ## SCSI drive #2
  #
  /dev/sd1c                       /usr/local2    ufs     rw 1 1
  proc                            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

  When the system is already booted I can mount/umount
  /dev/sd1 -t ufs /mnt
  /dev/sd1c -t ufs /mnt

  Trying  ``mount -t ufs /dev/sd1a /mnt'' fails because slice "a"
  is meant for root, according to /etc/disktab:

  # a == root
  # b == swap
  # c == d == whole disk
  # e == /var
  # f == scratch
  # h == /usr

  I can mount either sd1 or sd1c on <<wherever>> and it works.
  But on rebooting, there is that ``invalid primary partition''
  err.  Upon coming up, however, /dev/sd1*  _is_  in the mount
  table.  `mount' finds it.

  Here is my hacked /etc/disktab entry for the drive:

ibm3720|IBM 720MB SCSI:\
        :dt=SCSI:ty=winchester:se#512:nt#4:ns#91:nc#3875:rm#4500: \
        :pc#1423360:oc#0: \
        :tc=4.2BSD:bc#4096:fc#512:

  Does this look right?  Am I missing something that would allow
  newfs to stick in the magic number?

  If anybody has bumped into this before, please let me know.

  Thanks much.

  gary kline