Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 16:51:22 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ain.charm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Annex router

[ Private email, no sense boring the mailing list with this ]

> > However, on my second line (radio), every night the telco. does a line
> > check about 11 p.m. every night which causes my phones to 'fake-ring',
> > which also caused my modem line to fail every night before I got it
> > switched to copper.
>
> I am on copper, as far as I can tell, and I am *lucky* when the line is
> up for 2 days straight. Is there anything I can do with the phone company
> that will work? I thought that if I tried to explain the problem to them
> they'd think I am insane.

Most phone companies are pretty good about these things.  I was lucky in
that U.S. West is in the middle of a bit lawsuit from a consumer group
who claims they aren't doing a very good job of customer support, so
they have been *very* good about making sure I'm a happy customer.

They understand dedicated phones lines, and when I setup my line they
asked what it was used for which actually made it easier for them to
understand the importance of the problem when I had problems later.

I live in Helena Montana and they understood the issues, I suspect most
places in the U.S. are pretty well versed in the requirements of dedicated
phones lines.

However, there is no guarantee that your line must work 24 hrs/day 365
days/yr with a standard phone line, so they may opt out and you'll be
stuck with the service you have now.

Why is it such a big problem?  During my problems, I setup my modem to
auto-redial until it connects in case my work machine rebooted.  It's
also setup to auto-dial when my box reboots, so it's a no brainer now.  I
don't have to do anything as it's all automated on both ends.

There are advantages to being your own ISP. :-)

Nate