Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:17:18 +0100
From:      Stefan <roijers@iae.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Abnormal behaviour of "established" rule with ipfw?

Abnormal behaviour of "established" rule with ipfw?

Theoretically, I think, the following firewall rules for ipfw would never
allow any
tcp connection simply because a connection can not be setup:

ipfw list:
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
30000 allow tcp from any to any established
65535 deny ip from any to any

However, the opposite appears to be true:
ipfw show:
00100   0     0 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200   0     0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
30000 212 15669 allow tcp from any to any established
65535   0     0 deny ip from any to any

Connections can be setup without a problem!
I'm using FreeBSD 4.1 Release with the security patches of January applied.
Verified this on my workstation (above example) after observing incoming
connections on my firewallbox (same version and patches).

As a workaround I moved a deny incoming rule before the allow established rule
but according the examples in the tutorial and handbook this should not be
necessary.

Is this a security vulnerability or do I understand things wrong?

Greets,

Stefan